About this Piece
An elegant sterling silver pendant inlayed with marble extracted locally from County Galway.
The pendant measures 25mm from bottom to the top of the bail, and 18mm from side to side.
The pendant hangs on a sterling silver 18″ chain.
History of the Celtic Trinity
The leaf-life trinity knot, or triquetra (from the Latin 'three-cornered), was used by early Christans to represent the Holy Trinity, though the symbol has its roots in earlier pre-Christian religions, possibly existing thousands of years beforehand. Being such as versatile symbol, the triquetra has countless interpretations - the number three was an important number in Celtic symbolism, so possible meanings also include the unity of the earth/sea/sky, the three stages of life, or various triple-deities.
It came to prominence during the period of 'insular art' in the early middle ages, which combined early Christian and Celtic art. Some of its most famous incarnations are found within the artwork of the Book of Kells. It was popularized again during the Celtic revival of the 19th Century.
About the Maker
J.C. Walsh & Sons is a family business which has been selling high quality marble gifts and souvenirs since 1946. From their own quarry in County Galway, they extract marble and transport it to their workshop in Dublin, where top designers polish and craft it into beautiful handmade gifts and pieces of jewelry.